Friday 15 March 2013

I saw John the Baptist, on Barry John's right hand

I bought, in the sort of closing down sale at HMV, Max Boyce's classic live albums. I've been meaning to do so for ages, but I'd not heard them before. And they're brilliant. Anyway, my favourite is below, which bizarrely, I cannot find written out anywhere on the Internet (I've not looked that hard). Perhaps fitting for the eve of tomorrow's Anglo-Welsh Six Nations decider.

The Devil's marking me

I had a dream the other night; the strangest dream of all
I dreamt I was in Heaven, away from life's hard call
It was as I imagined: where peace reigned all supreme
The signs to Heaven were in all in Welsh, the signs were painted green
(refrain)

I entered through the heavenly gate; I heard the heavenly band
And there was John the Baptist, on Barry John's right hand
He plays for the Heaven Welsh Fifteen. They're very fit and keen
We'd play the Heaven English, if they could only raise a team
(refrain)

There was rugby every morning on a field of golden corn
And the referee was Gabriel and he blew on a sliver horn
They tell me we play Hell next week, in the annual charity
I wouldn't mind, but I've been told, the Devil's marking me
(refrain)

But now my dream has faded and I wake up to the morn
I find beneath my pillow a sheaf of golden corn
So I know that when I go there, beyond death's victory
I'll take my rugby jersey on that gospel train with me
(refrain)

7 comments:

  1. The words at the end of the second verse should read the signs to heaven were all in Welsh,hell signs were painted green (All English signs in Wales were over painted with green paint)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comment should read at the end of the first verse

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been looking for the origins of this song for a long time, it's a song I always ended up singing after I've had a few 😉😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a verse missing between the devils marking me and now my dream has faded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember two other verses from my rugby days in the late 70's:

    All Wales’ great Rugby heroes are seated in the stands
    An underneath their halos, their tasseled caps so grand
    And when they sing the Sospan
    They shake the Heavenly Tree
    For up in Heaven, truth will tell, we beat them Wallabies
    Wallabies, Wallabies, for up in Heaven truth will tell—we beat them Wallabies

    It’s true about the mansions, they say are way up here
    There’s food clothes for everyone; and streams of homebrewed beer
    It never gets too crowded, and someone pays the bill
    For fourteen hundred thousand Dai’s, and fifteen million Wyl’s
    Million Wyl’s, Million Wyl’s; for fourteen hundred thousand Dai’s and fifteen million Wyl’s

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to know the title.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought this song was called 'The Strangest Dream'. One of my favourites after a few jars.

    Back in the 70's my Mam used to record Max's bbc shows on an audio cassette recorder because it was after my bedtime. I still remember the lyrics 50 years later!

    Sadly seems missing on the interweb.

    ReplyDelete