Thursday 19 April 2018

When I’m gone I don’t want any of these two-faced bastards who I didn’t get on with standing up and saying nice things about me

Fred mellowed in old age, but only in the sense that he was prepared to forgive and forget on a selective basis. Making it up with Geoffrey Boycott after both men fell out during one of Yorkshire’s civil wars was well-met. But on other deeper disputes he was implacable. He left the room and never returned. After he died, we expected a memorial service. It was not to be, and on his express orders. His final instructions were: “When I’m gone I don’t want any of these two-faced bastards who I didn’t get on with standing up and saying nice things about me.”

M. Parkinson, 'Bloody-minded, beautiful, t'best', M. Engel (ed.), Wisden Cricketers' Almanack (2007), 46

To my amusement at least, this article appeared in The Times with the headline
A working class hero who only wanted to be an entertainer. I know which one I prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment