Wednesday 17 June 2020

It's a tendency of all our royal family. They came from the continent you see.'

[JP-H:] 'I understand there is what is called a High Church and a Low Church. Now the Duchess of Teck was Low Church, and hated anything that "smacked of ritualism" and they all though going to mass in Florence (which they often did to hear the  singing) was mummery.'

[Archbishop Fisher:] 'Do you know Lady Cynthia Colville?'

'I know her well. But she  is very High Church I believe.', A

'That's what I mean. She could tell you, because she isn't Low Church. Now let me see, yes, Queen Mary was what you would call Low Church, it's a tendency of all our royal family. They came from the continent you see.'

....

Take Princess Margaret now, she understands doctrine - knows what it's all about. In fact Princess Margaret is a thoroughly good churchwoman.'

...

He took me out into the passage and promised to read the doctrinal passages in my proofs.

J. Pope-Hennessy, The Quest for Queen Mary, ed. H. Vickers (2018), 222-3, 224, 227

No comments:

Post a Comment