Thursday 10 March 2022

Intoxicated: beastly work, but how can I help it?

[The diary of the Marquess of Dalhousie]

Take for example, a few typical entries during the first six months of 1830. 'Dined in Hall at 5. Could get nothing to eat.' Chapel: 'beastly music and singing';  or again, 'skipped chapel; my character for regularity may perhaps carry me through'. Then came the wine parties. 'Intoxicated: beastly work, but how can I help it?' Once more: 'Fourteen of us had supper in my rooms. the most tremendous row was created till 1/2 past one, when we went out to walk, and on my return I found Cunningham sitting eating the leg-bone of a turkey by the fire, with all my glasses in shivers round him. Never will have a party in my rooms again if I can help it.'

K. Feiling, In Christ Church Hall (1960), 163-4 [chapter on Dalhousie] 

No comments:

Post a Comment