Thursday 26 May 2022

The Coal Miner's Daughter Museum is one of the oddest museums I have ever visited

The Coal Miner's Daughter Museum is one of the oddest museums I have ever visited. Perhaps the oddest thing about it is that half the labels used to identify and describe the objects are typical professional display labels, but the other half are handwritten in felt-tipped pen on little white boxes and signed "Loretta Lynn" or "LL." ... It is as if a mad curator broke into the building during the night and defiantly stuck up her own thoughts about the exhibits. Imagine the improvements to the New York Met and the British Museum if this were to happen there. Out with solemn labels detailing sources and provenances; in with personal memories and anecdotes. By a cream Cadillac parked against a Grand Ole Opry backdrop was the notice: "this is my favorite car. It's a 1977 Cadillac. I wrote most of my songs in it while driving to and from town. I'm still gonna get it out and drive it. Loretta Lynn." In front of a display of her children's paraphernalia, including as cast from a broken arm and wedding dresses, is a note saying. Jenny is my graddaughter. Patsy is going to bring me hers to." I wondered how long this notice had been here, and what level of frustration lies behind the public reminder to her daughter Patsy.

H. Morales, Pilgrimage to Dollywood (2014), 58-9

No comments:

Post a Comment