Monday 1 November 2010

My commonplace blog

In a recent post, I noted I had found my commonplace book, which was exciting. However, it wasn't that exciting as I have since written nothing in it. This isn't because I have found nothing worth noting, but rather because I put it down again.

So, opposing the tyranny of the paper and pens, I have decided to migrate the format online. I find, to my horror that others have stolen all the right URLs, but only one of the obvious URLs is actually a commonplace book (rather putting paid to this entirely erroneous theory that blogs are like commonplace books)

So, here some rules, based on the rationale for the old commonplace books:
  • Each post will only contain one quotation in question
  • Together with full reference (unless I lose them)
  • Dating recorded by the blog
  • The opening line will be given as a title
  • In exceptional circumstances, I'll add some context or some explanatory notes
  • I'll copy them in the language I read them, and I may translate them if I'm feeling generous (worry not: there won't be much foreign)
Let's hope this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment