Saturday 25 February 2017

I feel as uneasy as I do if there is no evidence of wine glasses or bottles

In fact, if I go into a friend's dining room and see no loaf on the table, I feel as uneasy as I do if there is no evidence of wine glasses or bottles. Now that I've been forced into making my own bread, I often take it with me. Nobody takes any offence ... It's only a matter of time before the braver and angrier among us start taking our own bread to restaurants. After all there are plenty of establishments to which we may take our own wine. I see nothing to prevent us taking our own bread as well. The restaurateurs can always increase their cover charges t include the loan of a bread knife - if they have one.

E. David, 'The Baking of an English Loaf', collected in J. Norman (ed.) Is there a nutmeg in the house? (2000), 220

NB. When Elizabeth David talks of being 'forced' to bake her own bread, she means because commercial bread is substandard, not actually being forced.

No comments:

Post a Comment