Saturday 27 August 2022

I don't dream ... and not for "free" anyway

I once put together a book called The Tiger Garden: A Book of Writer's Dreams. Every day I sat at my desk typing up other people's dreams. Because it was a charity project intended to benefit Amnesty International, I was unable to offer payment to contributors. 'I don't dream,' wrote actor and writer Dirk Bogarde in response to my request, 'and not for "free" anyway.' The book was dismissed by critic Harry Ritchie as 'uniquely pointless and stupid', so he's not going to enjoy the current book, which will feature some of my dreams about books, writers, bookshops and critics, including at least one in which Harry Ritchie appears. 

N. Royle, White spines: confessions of a book collector (2020), 15

No comments:

Post a Comment